Statement of Values & Code of Ethics¹
As a faith-based community organization, Living in Liberty (LIL) is committed to upholding a strict code of ethics of the highest standard. Our donors and volunteers choose to support our charitable organization because they trust us and our integrity to use their resources in carrying out our mission. LIL acknowledges that this trust must be earned. The LIL community of board members, staff, and volunteers are committed to demonstrating our core values of integrity, fairness, respect, openness, responsibility, and compassion.
Statement of Values
Any code of ethics is built on a foundation of widely shared values. The values of the independent sector include:
- Commitment to the public good;
- Accountability to the public;
- Commitment beyond the law;
- Respect for the worth and dignity of all individuals;
- Responsibility of resources; and
- Commitment to preserving public trust.
These values guide the actions of LIL and are used as a base for policies and practices.
- Personal and Professional Integrity
All board members, staff, and volunteers of LIL act according to the organization’s
values in all aspects as representatives of the organization.
LIL is committed to restoring dignity, freedom, and a new life to victims of commercial
sexual exploitation by creating a safe, secure, loving, and nurturing community where
healing occurs and a new life begins.
The LIL governing body is responsible for ensuring the organization pursues its mission
and oversees the organization’s finances, operations, and policies. The governing body:
- Ensures that its board members have the skills and experience to perform their duties and that all members understand and fulfill their governance duties and public purpose of the organization;
- Ensures that any conflicts that may arise are appropriately solved;
- Is responsible for the hiring and firing of the chief executive officer and ensures a reasonable compensation for said position.
- Ensures that the CEO and appropriate staff provide the governing body with the information it needs in order to effectively carry out its duties;
- Ensures that any transactions and dealings are handled with integrity;
- Ensures that the organization promotes professional relationships based on respect, fairness, and openness among board members, staff, and volunteers;
- Ensures the organization is fair and open to diversity in its hiring policies for all positions;
- Ensures that the organization’s policies are in written form and clearly articulated;
- Ensures that the resources of the organization are responsibly handled in accordance with the LIL value of integrity;
- Ensures that the organization is able to effectively carry out its programs.
- Legal Compliance
LIL is aware of all laws, regulations and applicable international conventions and agrees
to comply with them.
LIL ensures that all of its funds are handled responsibly. This includes the following
- A reasonable amount of the annual budget is used on programs that align with the pursuance of its mission;
- Spend a sufficient amount towards administrative expenses in order to ensure effectiveness;
- The organization reasonably compensates staff and others as appropriate;
- Organizations that request funds have reasonable fundraising costs and acknowledge the many factors that could affect these fundraising costs;
- Organizations with endowments draw from endowment funds in alignment with donor intent and to maintain the organization’s goal with the public;
- Organizations guarantee fair and appropriate spending practices and policies that work to fulfill the organization’s mission; and,
- Ensures that all financial reports are authentic and complete.
LIL provides the public and media with complete and timely information and responses
in a timely manner to any reasonable requests for information. The information given
about the organization will honestly reflect the policies and practices of the organization.
Data information on the organization, such as the Form 990, reviews and compilations,
and audited financial statements will be accessible on the organization’s website. All
material used for solicitation purposes accurately reflect the organization’s policies and
- Program Evaluation
LIL conducts regular reviews of its programs, analyzing effectiveness and making
improvements for future programs. The organization is committed to ensuring program
effectiveness and improvement while remaining responsive to the needs of its
LIL promotes inclusiveness and diversity in its staff, board, and volunteers. These values
of diversity and inclusiveness are utilized in its hiring, retention, promotion, and board
Any solicitation materials allocated will be truthful in regards to the organization.
Additionally, LIL will disclose any vital and relevant information to all potential donors.
Privacy concerns of individual donors are respected. LIL respects the rights of donors,
- To be informed of the mission of the organization, the way the resources will be used and their capacity to use donations effectively for their intended purposes;
- To be informed of the identity of those serving on the organization’s governing board and to expect the board to exercise prudent judgment in its stewardship responsibilities;
- To have access to the organization’s most recent financial reports;
- To be assured their gifts will be used for the purposes for which they were given;
- To receive appropriate acknowledgement and recognition;
- To be assured that information about their donations is handled with respect and with confidentiality to the extent provided by the law;
- To expect that all relationships with individuals representing organizations of interest to the donor will be professional in nature;
- To be informed whether those seeking donations are volunteers, employees of the organizations or hired solicitors;
- To have the opportunity for their names to be deleted from mailing lists that an organization may intend to share; and,
- To feel free to ask questions when making a donation and to receive prompt, truthful and forthright answers.².
¹ The language and spirit of this Statement of Values and Code of Ethics is modeled off of the model Statement of Values and Code of Ethics for Nonprofit and Philanthropic Organizations adopted by Independent Sector in January 2004
² These ten points are taken from A Donor Bill of Rights, developed by the American Association of Fund Raising Counsel, the Association for Healthcare Philanthropy, the Council for the Advancement and Support of Education, and the Association of Fundraising Professionals, and endorsed by INDEPENDENT SECTOR